Connecticut’s Kid Governor (CTKG) Reese Naughton wants Connecticut students to go outside, increase their endorphins, and be more positive this summer! She created this Outdoors-A-Thon activity challenge as part of her Be Positive: Pandemic Perseverance platform to improve the mental and physical health of Connecticut’s kids during the pandemic.
For the third point of my platform, I am holding a kids “Outdoors-A-Thon”. This is a fun competition where kids can complete against one another in a friendly competition to see who can spend the most time outside this summer. To me, it is important to spend time outside because it increases our endorphins and makes us more positive! Because we were locked up in quarantine last summer, many of us did not go outside, do fun outdoor activities, or invite our friends over. This summer, I hope we all can have a lot of fun outdoors to make up for last summer, and be more positive than ever!
How to Participate!
- Download the official Outdoors-A-Thon Activity Tracker (spreadsheet) or make a copy to your Google Drive.
- List your summer outdoor activities right in the Tracker! Enter the date, activity, and number of minutes spent doing the activity.
- At the end of the summer, calculate the number of activities you did and the number of minutes you spent outside.
- For students entering 6th grade in the fall: send Reese your total number of activities and minutes spent outside by Tuesday, August 31, 2021 using the Outdoors-A-Thon Entry Form. The students who were most active this summer will be recognized on Reese’s blog!
Any student (or adult!) can track their activities this summer using CTKG Reese’s Activity Tracker, but only students who were Reese’s 5th grade constituents and are now entering 6th grade this fall will be considered for the contest.
Deadline: Tuesday, August 31, 2021
Outdoor Activity Ideas
CTKG Reese and her Cabinet have created a list of 21 outdoor activities you can do for summer 2021! Which will you do to boost your endorphins and be more positive?
- Park/Playscape Activities
- Sidewalk Chalk Art
- Horseback Riding
- Beach Activities
If you have questions about CTKG Reese’s Outdoor-A-Thon, email Reese@CT.KidGovernor.org!