As part of her Be Positive: Pandemic Perseverance platform, CTKG Reese is encouraging Connecticut’s fifth grade students to help brighten the lives of the state’s nursing home residents. To do this, CTKG Reese is asking for your help in creating Valentine’s Day cards, paper decorations, or drawings to send to local nursing facilities. Keep reading for how your class can get involved!
What To Do
No matter if your class wants to send Valentine’s Day cards or just positive messages to your local nursing facilities, there is a way for your students to support CTKG Reese’s first platform point. To get involved, encourage your students to create drawings or cards with messages of positivity. Once your students have finished their creations, select an area nursing facility to send their creations to. Finish up your class’ participation by mailing your students’ creations to your selected facility.
If your class does not celebrate Valentine’s Day, they can still participate! Everyone loves to receive mail and positive messages are greatly needed as the pandemic reaches its one year milestone.
For suggestions to where to send your class’ cards, click HERE for our Town-by-Town directory of Nursing facilities.
Suggested Valentine’s Day Messages
- Here’s a Valentine’s Day filled with bright smiles!
- Roses are red, violets are blue. Happy Valentine’s Day– I’m thinking of you!
- I hope you feel cared about and appreciated on Valentine’s Day, because you are!
- Warm Valentine’s wishes for you!
- There’s always someone thinking of you, Happy Valentine’s Day!
- All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn’t hurt!
- Hope you know you’re loved this Valentine’s Day!
- A friend is what a heart needs all the time!
- Happy Valentine’s Day! Just wanted to let you know that you are loved!
- Choose happy and eat chocolate
Suggested General Messages
- Wishing you weeks worth of smiles!
- Warm wishes to brighten your day!
- You are wonderful!
- May your day be filled with all kinds of bright sunny things!
- Sending cheerful thoughts to brighten your day!
- You are going to have a great day!
- Don’t forget to smile today!
- You are awesome… It’s true!
- You are amazing… Don’t forget it!
- You make the world a better place!
If your class participates in CTKG Reese’s first platform point, share your experience with the Connecticut’s Kid Governor Team! Email CTKG Reese your pictures of your class creating their cards and artwork and let her know who you sent your positive messages to! You may see your class featured in our next E-Blast, on the website, or on social media. If you post pictures to social media, make sure to tag us using @CTKidGovernor and the tag #CTKGPositive.
Collection Drives for Nursing Homes
If your school or class would like to send care packages to your local nursing home, here are some items you might collect!
- Unscented hand lotion
- Handmade crafts
- Adult coloring book and markers
- Anything soft (Blankets, stuffed animals, pillows)
- Small American Flags (For residents who are veterans)
- Word search, crossword puzzle and Sudoku books